Universal Identity web services are designed to be backwards-compatible as future versions of Universal Identity are released. This ensures that customers who develop integration with one version of Universal Identity will continue to receive consistent, correct web service responses even as Universal Identity is upgraded and enhanced in the future.
Verato maintains backwards compatibility in web services by maintaining and enhancing web services in a way where we only ever add to the web services – we never change or remove existing web services or elements of the JSON. You can expect the following from our JSON-based web services:
- All endpoints and tabs/attributes/fields will be case-sensitive
- We will NOT change names of existing endpoints or tags/attributes/fields
- We will NOT remove existing endpoints or tags/attributes/fields
- We will NOT require nor guarantee ordering of any tags (both on requests and responses)
- We will add new API endpoints/methods
- We will add new tags/attributes/fields to existing API endpoints (both on requests and responses)
Universal Identity customers should develop integration with our web services in such a way that it does not break when:
- A new endpoint is added – you can choose to use new endpoints or ignore them.
- A new parameter is added to an existing API endpoint – you can choose to use the new parameter or
- ignore it.
- A new response tag/attribute/field is added to an existing API endpoint – you can process the
- information in the new tag/attribute/field or ignore it.